Winston Churchill to Jack Churchill, November 15, 1895
Well worth rereading in the present day. Two pull quotes:
But essence of American journalism is vulgarity divested of truth.
A great, crude, strong, young people are the Americans – like a boisterous healthy boy among enervated but well bred ladies and gentlemen. Some day Jack when you are older you must come out here and I think you will feel as I feel–and think as I think today.
Picture to yourself the American people as a great lusty youth – who treads on all your sensibilities – perpetrates every possible horror of ill manners – whom neither age nor just tradition inspire with reverence–but who moves about his affairs with a good hearted freshness which may well be the envy of older nations of the earth.
Thank you, young Winston!
USA Homeland Security Secretary, Janet Napolitano, is in Pakistan at the same time the Marines push deeper into Afghanistan’s Helmand province. Obviously not related. Yeah, right.
Officials: U.S. Missile Strike in Pakistan Kills 17 – FOXNews.com
Friday, July 03, 2009 AP
ISLAMABAD — U.S. missiles struck a training facility operated by Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud and a militant communication center Friday, killing 17 people and wounding 27 others, intelligence officials said….
They took place as U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano met government officials in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad. She discussed topics of “mutual interest” with them, a U.S. Embassy spokesman said.
Posted using ShareThis
Also see updating version of this AP story.
Once again, let’s review some recent events:
- Strange al Quaeda events in Zahedan, Iran.
- Pres. Obama contacts Grand Ayatollah Khameini.
- Massive street protests for freedom in Iran.
- Pres. Obama strangely keeps his mouth shut.
- The street protests go quiet but have not disappeared.
- Pakistan positions troops opposite the border with Helmand Province.
- Today, the US Marines launch operations into the south of Afghanistan, south of Lashkar Gah.
- Janet Napolitano shows up in Islamabad for discussion of unspecified topics.
Well, coincidences are fun but I am getting more agnostic about this series of events!